Artisan Markets, Castlefield

Castlefield market

Castlefield Artisan market

It couldn’t have worked out better. We had nothing planned, and it was a mild November day with searing blue skies and a low afternoon sun.

Scanning through my Twitter feed on Sunday morning, I noticed a tweet about Castlefield Artisan Market, which is on the cobbles under the viaduct near Dukes 92.

With a great mix of food, vintage stalls and craft, this was the best market I’ve been to in a long time. Jazz was blasted out across the cobbles, with a troupe of dancers, doing a ridiculously cool dance routine. The upbeat music gave the event a really lovely atmosphere and gave everyone a smile on their face.

We stocked up on salt marsh lamb from Cockerham in Lancashire, as well as speciality sausages, cakes and delicacies from Taste of Anatolia, among many other delicious items.

This is exactly what Manchester has needed for many years, and I can’t understand why the council hasn’t been able to organise something like this. Although saying that, the best events come from innovative individuals doing something they’re passionate about. And in true Manchester fashion, this isn’t just any old farmers’ market – it’s so much more than that.

Castlefield Artisan Market will take place every first Sunday of the month, from 10am to 4pm. The next event is December 4 and there is a special Christmas market on December 23.

Come along and show your support.

Surburban Series plates by Lisa Mouncey, from Broadstone Mill

Surburban Series plates by Lisa Mouncey, from Broadstone Mill

11 Comments

• November 9, 2011 - 1:14 pm | Permalink

Great pictures and blog I have to say!
    So pleased you showed Lisa’s Suburban Series plates – that was her first market ever – she was next to me under the arches and was so pleased to be there – first time is something you can never relive!
    My first time here in Castlefield – really well organised and the visitors were amazing! I’ve done 18 months of markets now – this has to be the best!
    I’ll definately be back in December!

• November 9, 2011 - 3:47 pm | Permalink

We were there too and were over the moon with the quality of the other stalls and goodies, the atmosphere and how very friendly and positive everyone was – customers, visitors and stallholders alike. And such a variety of lovely imaginative vintage, handmade and delicious stuff to browse, try and buy. We had a fab time and can’t wait for the December one. Come along and support it, people of Castlefields and further afield – you’re lucky to have it!

• carolynh
    November 9, 2011 - 4:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks for both comments.

Lisa’s plates really are beautiful – think I might have to buy one next time.

I’m really looking forward to the next one.

• Louise Campbell
    November 11, 2011 - 6:01 pm | Permalink

I have the plant stall at this fantastic market and as a true Mancunian, I have waited years for a market like this in our wonderful city., With a perfect setting, georgeous stalls with fab stall holders, lovely supportive customers, great entertainment…the Jazz was especially good, well done lads..what more could we ask for. Thank you to Jody and Asif for all your hard work setting this up, long may it continue..

• Smashing Time
    November 12, 2011 - 3:09 pm | Permalink

Have been looking for somewhere to sell my 20th century collectibles for ages and Castlefield Artisan Market is the perfect place. Great atmosphere, location and customers. The Jazz and dancing were brilliant too. Look forward to the next one on the 4th December. Great place to buy unusual christmas gifts! Thanks to Jodie and Asif for organising.

• lucy hoang
    November 14, 2011 - 8:05 pm | Permalink

It was a truly adorable market. The entertainment, the setting, the stalls, the stallholders.. It’s inspired me how exactly do you get a trading spot and how does it work?
    Thanks, Lucy

• November 30, 2011 - 8:57 am | Permalink

Oh, this market looks wonderful! What superb weather you had too. Will have to make sure I’m at the next one – I can’t resist an artisan market. x

• January 27, 2012 - 9:40 pm | Permalink

Well I’m ashamed to say I’ve still not been to this market!! Its on my must see list!

• Helen
    February 18, 2012 - 10:51 pm | Permalink

Does anybody know if this market is still on in 2012 & will be the first Sunday each month?

• carolynh
    February 26, 2012 - 8:55 pm | Permalink

Hi Helen
    I think it is.
    Keep an eye on their Facebook page to the latest market details: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Castlefield-Market/271645129529298

• Tom - Personal Trainer Manchester
    February 28, 2012 - 9:52 am | Permalink

Look like a great day out, i have really got into the various markets that Manchester has to offer lately!

TOM